Sunday, June 14, 2015

Cuenca is my Home

I bought a plane ticket on Tame for $72 to fly to Cuenca. The taxi to the airport cost $25 plus tip. I decided to leave early as there was a changing of the guard at the Palace and the streets would be blocked. Good thing I did because we had a flat tire on the way. The driver changed it very fast on a very narrow street with heavy traffic. I thought he would get run over and I would have to hail another taxi! Then I put my bags back in the trunk and closed it not knowing his keys were in the trunk. SHIT! The trunk release was broken but he used a screw-driver and got it open. I arrived at the airport with more than an hour to spare. I checked the tires on the plane and made sure the pilot had his keys.
Arrived at 1:20 pm and a $3 taxi to my hotel above Inca Lounge. I was going to stay at a more expensive hotel by the Pumapungo ruins but I had an email saying they did not have a room with a view. Screw that!  Cuenca is 1,000 ft lower than Quito- 8,300ft. Checked in and stopped by a bar next door and met a few new friends. Americans. $2 Cuba Libres. I contacted the lady about an apartment and told her I would view it the next day. Very nice folks and a great apartment, but too far from the center of Cuenca. After reviewing websites and sending emails I had a response from a realtor and made an appointment for that day to view a few. The first one for $500 did not have a window to the outside. Fuck that. "Well there is another one across the street" she said. Vamos. Top floor and windows all around, same price. Sold! The landlady, Fanny, has been very sweet and welcoming. I like Cuenca very much.

I still monitor the news on volcanos even though Sangay is more than 100 miles away. But there is more trouble brewing in Ecuador. Revolution! Imagine that! Reminds me of a song "He was the best President we ever had" by Pancho Maximillian Hernandez. 'Until he made the citizens mad', 'Now we're sorry we shot him'. It seems that Correa has pissed off the campesinos. He proposed an inheritance tax on the rich. If you screw the rich who will pay the poor? They have other reasons to be mad, as well. While Correa was in Brussels ( I didn't get a postcard) there were protests everywhere. Even in Cuenca. I have been told to stay away from protests. Correa tweeted that a coup was fomenting. He gets back home today, Sunday. I still like him an admire him more than Obama. I won't explain. Maduro is calling for a summit of support for Correa. Fuck Maduro. He is reaching out for friends.
I read news from home on occasion. I avoid most of it. Most of it is really shameful when you view it from down here. The racial shit the US will never resolve. China slapping our face. I watch Aljazeera. I was deeply moved by Obama at the funeral for Beau Biden.

My papers have arrived in Guayaquil and I will meet with my atorney again next weeek. I met with her Friday but we decided to wait until the papers were delivered (FedX still has them). I think I will get my residency rather than a 9 month visa. As a resident I get Ecuadorian prices. Half off most things such as airfare.
I used Skype for the first time with Sally and Jan. So easy! I gave them a tour of my apartment. I use FB messenger to phone chat.
The Inti Raymi festival is next week during the solstice. I may go up to CaƱar and stay the night. I am trying to meet people with cars. I need to go birding!  Cajas national park is a 30 minute ride. Red-masked parakeets are screaming outside my window right now. Birds are calling me...I'm ready for a trip somewhere.







No comments:

Post a Comment