Saturday, May 14, 2016

Amigos

For the past 3 weeks I have had sinusitis. I have never had it before. It has been driving me crazy and has slowed me down. The pharmacy gave me a 2-day supply of amoxicillin. I knew better but took it. Made everything worse because you can't take an antibiotic for just a few days. So I went to a doctor and she gave me a 10-day supply. I am finally feeling better. As I spoke with the Doctor I inquired about haveing  my CEA levels checked via a blood sample. I went to Loja and met with a doctor who told me the public hospitals can't provide such a test but I could go to the Red Cross across the street. So I did. It cost $15. I had the results emailed to me yesterday. Not good news. 28.53 ug/ml. This is much higher than I had hoped. 10 ug/ml would have been barely acceptable.
My cancer has returned. 
I had promised myself that I was finished with treatments. But that voice keeps telling me I might be able to give myself another year with an operation. The only way to know is to have a CT/MRI scan. I can't have one done here. I just don't trust the medical system here. So, I will be coming back to the U.S.A.
Strangely, I am torn on making a different decision. Before I leave Ecuador do I want to see the orange-throated tanager or the Great grebe? Do I go after the chestnut-bellied cotinga which was recently seen north of Quito or do I head to PerĂº for the marvelous spatuletail? I have given myself a deadline for making the decision; Monday.
I embraced my cancer long ago. It has been nearly 5 years since my battle began. I would not be here in Ecuador otherwise. I would have never added the 778 Ecuador species to my life list if cancer had not invaded my body. And for the last 15 months I have not been tethered to a doctor. I have not been sick on chemo and have not had to make appointments. I have done what has pleased me and me alone. I have made numerous friends I would have otherwise never met. Wonderful people. Lorraine Caputo was the first to touch my life here and has been so very helpful. Darnell Dunn, Sharon and Scott McNeil, Nancy and Brian Lange, Charlito and Colleen. To many to name. And they are just the Gringos I have met. The Ecuadorians friends I have made have been just as embraceable. Thank you, Marcela. I love you all.
 I will not be coming to Florida until mid June, or so. I am going to hold off as long as I can. Firstly, I have to deal with insurance issues, which is a pain the fucking ass.
But before the hell begins............which birds?

............




No comments:

Post a Comment