Tuesday, June 17, 2014

I am still waiting for someone to put a stamp on a document so my binoculars can be sent to Quito. Probably tomorrow. Another day without birding. I went to the plaza yesterday and saw a bird soaring up high. They have guys in the plaza who's job it is to help people find what they want. He asked me what I was looking for. Ideas get jumbled in translation sometimes. I said 'birds'. He said 'well they have chicken' I said 'no, with feathers' He looked horrified. 'you eat the feathers?'
In the restaurants servers have to wear a hair net. Everyone does except the bartender unless he also  serves. I can just see Marc Anderson with a hair net!

So, I am a Mundialista. I have the shirt and all the accoutrement. I have been watching all the futbol matches at Quito Pub where Tito takes care of me. He always knocks a few off the tab. Before the Ecuador game, Colombia played and won. Big crowd of Colombianos. Very exciting. I was so dissapointed when Ecuador lost to those damn Swiss. There are flags of countires everywhere in the bars. Swiss, Korea, Italy, Uruguay etc. There are no flags of England or USA. None, no where, no how. It isn't' that they don't like us, they just don't give a second thought to USA. USA ignores Latin America and they ignore us. They know all our sports teams, especially baseball and basketball. They just don't give a shit about our goverment, and frankly, I don't either. Americans could learn a lot from Ecuadorians. They have the highest middle class in Latin America. They are sharp, dress well, take care of each other and very polite. They walk arm-in-arm down the street, boys and girls. Men hug and kiss the cheek. I have had hug patrols come hug me several times. I love this country.

I was going to go to the deep Amazon for 4 days but it costs about $1,100. Instead, I am going to fly to Cusco, Peru, for $300 RT from Guayaquil. I will stay about 12-14 days and visit Machu Picchu. Today in Cusco it is 32 with a high of 59. It is winter here. Ollantaytambo is a little warmer. I figure no matter where I go I have so stay in a hotel, so it might as well be Peru! Now I have to find a field guide to the birds of Peru. I am going to a mall shortly.

Time is going by too fast. One year ago last week I was told I had two years to live. I am not in a hurry to come home. Gotta go, feather caught in my teeth.





1 comment:

  1. Maybe they will display a USA flag after yesterday's match. :)

    ReplyDelete