Tuesday, July 8, 2014

I haven't had a glass of milk for almost 3 months and I have drank a half gallon a day for 25 years. Maybe thats another reason I am at 187 lbs. No milk and I walk about 10 miles a day. Maybe the scale is wrong but I know I have lost weight. I may have a beer at the Mundial game later today.
Cusco is fascinating. I get winded very quickly and drink a lot of water. Tourists are eveywhere. Girls are dressed in traditional clothes and carry small lambs. They beg to have their picture taken and then ask for money. I pass them quickly. I have been offered about 30 women in the last 3 days. Usually two girls at once for a 'massage'.
My walk today took me to the local market of clothes and food. The vegetables are a sight to see. I wanted some grapes to eat but I don't trust the washing of food. The meat hangs and lays on counters in the open air. Nothing is refrigerated.
There are ceramic bulls on the roofs of houses. Pucarà they are called. They guard the houses and bring good luck. Another Inca tradition but changed from llamas to bulls with the Spaniards. The Sacsayhuaman ruins are absolutely mind-boggling. How did those little people moves those huge stones? Where are they buried? There must be a few skeletons under those rocks. $25 for a ticket. Took a picture of women with a llama and they almost attacked me because I only had 2 Sols on me and they wanted 3. People don't take no for and answer here or in Ecuador.
Bought the train ticket ($87 Vistadome) and Machu Picchu ticket ($50) yesterday. I go next Sunday.
Last night I was out until 11 pm! I go for alpaca steak each night at Inka Grill and I stopped at a Pisco bar afterward. There was a band playing progressive jazz and the kid on the sax was unbelievably good. He's about 24 and very talented, as were the others in the band. I just saw him in the plaza and wanted to say something but didn't. Bottles of Pisco lined the walls. I had one drink and I think there was ginger and orange in it, all fresh. Met a Brit couple who have been traveling the world and just arrived here from Easter Islands. Amazing folks. I did not realize the flag of Hawaii has the Union Jack on it. The shit you learn. Also ran into the couple of republicans from Arizona who sat next to me on the plane. Wealthy folks and they asked me to join them. They could not quite understand why I would just go places to watch birds. " Why do you watch birds?" Eat your onion soup you stupid ....
"Why do you travel alone?".....so I don't have to put up with...... They didn't even know there were different trains to Machu Picchu or where they were staying. All part of the tour. Ick.
Tomorrow I am being picked up at 5:30am for my 4 day trip to Manu Bio Reserve in the Amazon. Met with the bird guide last night and he informed me there will be a family of 3 from Belgium with us. I asked if they are birders and he said yes. I flat out told him that I will not go if they aren't birders. Should be interesting. He was amazed at my bird lists and wanted to know where I got a spreadsheet of Peruvian birds. Forgot I have to email him the link to Avibase.
Game time shortly. Go Brasil! Beat those sour Krauts. Miss Merkel is pissed at Obama. Jajajaja....





1 comment: