Saturday, July 5, 2014

Last night the Ecuadorian Phil Silvers bought me a few drinks. He sang and had a wonderful voice. Unique group with a few Scottish in the mix. 4:30am came way to quickly. My flight to Lima was delayed by almost 2 hours, which meant I would miss my connection. They gave me a first class seat from Lima and I finally arrived at 3:30. Stunning Andes. I could see where the dry, desert-like slopes began and the paramo ended. The pilot had to steer a path through the mountains to the Cusco approach. Bought the Peru bird guide for $110. I have studying to do. No gasoline subsidies here. $15 taxi to Hostel Qolqampata. I am up the hill from the plaza and it was a slow walk back up. I feel something here. It is as thought the mountains greeted me. At 11,400ft the sky is crystal clear. Pachakuti made this his capital. Manco Capac was the first Inca. I will have to read more of the history. This city is fascinating. I feel connected. Pachamama likes me.
I strolled down the stone road to the plaza and the sun was just starting to set. I was offered a massage by a pretty girl and declined. The faces of the people here are different, once again. Aymara? Very Inca-shaped profiles. They seem to be more robust in stature. Beautiful eyes that can tell many stories.
I stumbled into Inka Grill to watch the Mundial. Sad that Costa Rica lost. For my first meal and drink in Peru I discovered the perfect place. Havana Club rum was tempting but I settled for red wine and water. Grilled Alpaca is so delicious. Very tender. Ted Turner needs to farm Alpacas as well. The bartender,Garson,  was extremely professional and polite. I finished with a cheesecake with a local berry sauce. I will have to find these berry bushes. After dark, 5:30, I walked the plaza and listened to an military band. I got emotional again. Walked up the narrow stone street and passed a teenager party at a bar. Several kids said hello to me. Cusco is very touristy and up-scale. I love it. Cold tonight, about 37.
I have contracted, verbally, with http://www.wildwatchperu.com/en/    Luis Zuñiga will be my guide for 4 days in Manù preserve in the Amazon. This is closer and less expensive then going to jungle lodges in Ecuador. Includes everything for $540. Several macaws and hoatzins are on my list. It leeaves on Wednesday which breaks up my week. I will do Machu Picchu next Sunday through Wednesday. I still have to buy my train ticket also.
Off to bed- it's 8pm.





No comments:

Post a Comment