Thursday, September 26, 2013

Spent the night in Gold Beach, Oregon. Nice room overlooking Pacific with wood burning fireplace. Built a fire and listened to the waves.  Driving down from Ya-hats, saw hundreds of  Stellars and California seals.  They are on the rocks in the last picture bellow. There is a vista every 2 miles it seems.
My 500th bird was a Western meadowlark. I have added 20 birds to my list so far.  Arrived in Arcata, California via the Redwood Highway 101.  Spectacular trees. They make lovely picnic tables here. Saw elk along the road. Animals are smarter here. I have only seen one dead opossum in the road.
Hired a bird guide and meeting in the morning. Humbolt Univ is in Arcata and it happens to be their 100th anniversary. Never saw so many hippies in my life! Staying at the Lady Ann B&B\ built in 1888. Very California.
I am exhausted. Will write again soon




4 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous! I am loving your journey. Your photos are wonderful, John. Keep on truckin'... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Say hi to the sea otters for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing your adventures. Please tell me more about the "C" that you are going through. I am 9 years cancer free.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. We used to go to the coast and camp at Cape Lookout. there on the pacific. You could sit on a ledge and look 180 degrees down and see the sealions playing on their private beach..... It was March and beautiful......

    ReplyDelete