Saturday, May 17, 2014

Caught a ride with a couple from Missouri to Puerto Cayo and stayed at Sanctuary Puerto Cayo hotel for one night. Nice room on the beach but I was the only person in the hotel. The owner told me about a lodge up in the forest that was popular for birdwatching so off I went the next morning. Pacoche Lodge is tucked back in the bosque and was very interesting. Ana arranged for a South African guy named Victor to cook for me and he was very good. My cabin was airy and overlooked a ravine in the forest. Birds galore. I am at 108 new species. Ecuadorian Trogon and Whooping Motmot topped the list. Crickets and other various forest bugs lulled me to sleep. Mantled Howler monkeys woke me up at 5 am. One night was enough at the lodge so back down the hills to the beach and San Lorenzo, 10 mintues away.
I am at Gringo on the Beach hotel and Daniel is the owner. He is from Chicago and we have a lot to chat about. He gave me a very nice room with a balcony and I keep the doors open and listen to the waves  at night. Nice pool, beach, horses, coconut palms. San Lorenzo is a nice village. Shrimp for lunch again. Daniel made some great hotdogs last night for dinner.
For some reason no web pages or Google is able to 'locate' me here. Very strange.
Took a walk on the beach at 6:30 am and saw 3 Humpback whales offshore! Spectacular! So close to the beach too. They are a little early and I sent an email to Ben in Salinas at the whale museum.
Ecuador and Holland played today and ended in a tie. The cafe filled up with guys while I was eating lunch and then the TV came on. They are passionate about futbol here. At the school all the boys  were in their uniforms and were gathered for a presentation of some-sort. My spanish is improving but I could'nt understand what was going on. The uniforms were brightly colored and very clean.
Oh, I climbed up to the lighthouse today. Nice view of the ocean.
Time for a Pilsener and sunset.
nite-nite.




2 comments:

  1. John, Great pics! Looks beautiful.Sounds like you have made some great friends. Bud

    ReplyDelete