Saturday, May 24, 2014

Last night the thunder, lightening and rain was tremendous. I awaken to a clear sky and bells ringing from Our Lady de Guadelupe. I take a cab from Stubel Suites to my next hotel,  Vieja  Cuba, near Mariscal. My room isn't ready so I leave my bags and take a taxi to the historic 'old' Quito. Police and guards are everywhere. I feel very safe. My first stop is the Basillica de Voto Nacional. $1 to enter and I can take pictures ( Guapulo church didn't allow it but I got some anyway and did not get struck by lightening).
All of these churches were built from 1540's to about 1650. The paintings are crumbling on the walls. The gold leaf is on every altar. I am overwhelmed by catholics and  their altars. No puny methodist crap here. Jesus has a horrified look on his face. Mary smiles. What did Spain do to these people? I find some of the pictures to be frightening. I felt like confessing. The sun shone through the stained glass. I think they have a comfy chair in the basement. I confess! I confess!
 I walked the narrow colonial streets and came to the Plaza Grande. I became extremely emotional by what I was seeing. Bright sunshine, blue sky, Pichincha with snow on top, native folks selling stuff I couldn't identify. Old men dressed in slacks and jackets and always a hat. Children  are all smiles. Music spreads through the Plaza. I am actually here. I hear horses and see the Guards in imperial dress riding in front of the Palace. I just missed President Correa on his way to the National Assembly for his address to the nation. He is now on every TV and speaks for almost 3 hours. The peasantry could care less.
 I wanted to buy something from every old lady I saw. They sing the price of what they are selling. A very kind old man wanted to be my guide for just a few dollars. I declined very politely. He complimented my Spanish. I am getting better. They speak with a lilting tone in the Sierra. Quito is the most beautiful city I have ever seen. It is a world heritage city, officially.
I got an email from Daniel, owner at Gringo on the Beach. He saved the tropicbird and is feeding it continuously. He is a nice man. He can teach it to fly.
I am having bird withdrawals. I can't birdwatch in the city. I must....go......birding.....soon...




1 comment: