Friday, May 23, 2014

San Lorenzo was very relaxing. Very nice beach. Found a young red-billed tropicbird which had fallen off a cliff on Isla Plata on the beach. It was still there when I left but I know it could't survive.
Manta was interesting. Ate at KFC and loved it. Nice museum with strange vessels of anthropomorphic carvings. All had erections. Things haven't changed much in 2,400 years because the men are still very small. I know because I see them everyday pissing on the street. Woman too. They just whip it out and piss anywhere. Today I saw and old woman squatting behind a statue of  Francisco de Orellana. She must have had a lot of coffee. She smiled at me and pulled them up and asked me which stairs to take down to the church in Guàpulo. I told her I wasn't sure and I was taking the road-the stairs were way too steep for me. The older women (native) have the most fascinating faces. Some wear black in mourning of Atahualpa. He's been dead 481 years.
 The flight from Manta to Quito cost $43 on an Airbus A310. Flew next to Cotopaxi volcano. Fucking amazing volcanos in the Andes. Taxi to Hotel Quito cost $25. Prices have gone up in Quito. No more cheap din-dins here. Had 2 drinks at a bar called Cats for $22. Geez. Ecuadorians automatically get reduced prices on everything. Gas is $1.63 a gallon here.
Am at Stubel Suites tonight and going to Hotel Viejo Cuba tomorrow for several days. The valley below my window is the trail Francisco Pizarro took to the Amazon. I wish he were there now as I would gladly piss on him.
I am looking for an apartment for a month but I am just not sure what to do. I Love Quito and haven't been to the old part of the city yet.  2.7 million people live in this valley. The streets are very clean.
I walk everywhere and have lost about 10 pounds. I couldn't walk up the hill from the church today so I hailed a taxi. First time I didn't have one called for me. $1.50 to get me up the hills. I am adjusting to the altitude of 9,350 ft. Headache went away. Pure chocolate helps also and they make the best in Ecuador.
 A thunderstorm blew into the valley last night. Watching lightning at this altitude is phenomenal.
I need to head outside the city for birds. 118 new species so far. Black-tailed trainbearer hummingbirds are little gems in the air.
Buenos noches

Update-my history is a bit off. Not sure Pizzaro came thru here. Orellana died at the mouth of the Amazon. Need to read up on this. Church bells rang at 5 am this morn.


No comments:

Post a Comment