Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Salinas has been a fantastic city. With the exception of the asshole Americans I have met the people are very accomodating. Big fight at the bar Smokin. Brian from Minnesota will drive me to Ayampe tomorrow to La Buena Vida hotel/hostal.
I eat seafood everyday. Mora, a delicious drink made from blackberries which is served everywhere and very popular in Ecuador, is good with vodka¡ Imagine that¡ (spanish keyboard).
Today I had the pleasure to go birdwatching with the director of the Museo de Ballenas (whale museum) Ben Hasse. He has written several books on sea birds and is well known in Ecuador. Enzo, a student at the marine lab, went with us. The end of the península is called Chocolateria and is part of the Naval Base. They let Ben right through. Waved albatross, sooty shearwater, spotted dolphins, south american sealions. And there are boobies everywhere. On the beach, in the water, in the sky. Bloobies ( blue-footed-boobies) by the hundreds. The Albatross was amazing. Then we went to Ecuasal which are pools of water which produce salt by the tons. Again, they let Ben through the gate. Wilson's phalaropes by the thousands. Chilean flamingos where my target and there were about 100. I have never seen Baird's sandpiper which nest up by Barrow Alaska, but I saw one here. I am at 46 new species.  I am very happy with how things are going. My hotel room has an 18 foot ceiling and old colonial doors to two balconies.
I dont know what Ayampe will be like. Remote, for sure. They say there is WIFI. Off for a walk on the beach. Hasta luego.




1 comment: